Problems Reheating Chicken and Rice?
If you are trying to move to a more healthy lifestyle of eating, the first place to start after throwing out the junk food and replacing it with real, whole foods, is to meal prep! If you know that it is not sustainable and you don’t have time to spend half of a day grocery shopping and meal prepping, opting for a quality meal delivery service is a great option.
Whether you are receiving a weekly meal delivery service, or you are meal prepping yourself, at some point throughout the week, you will have to reheat your pre-prepped food. Reheating chicken and rice, for example, can leave the chicken dry and the rice not quite as tasty. After sitting in the fridge overnight, chicken and rice loses some of its moisture — it becomes a bit dried out, and chewy, and the rice can harden.
Here are a few tips for getting around drying out your meals:
- Sprinkle some olive oil over your chicken and rice before placing it in the refrigerator.
- Always over your food when you are reheating it. Oven: use foil; microwave: use another plate or a damp paper towel.
- Another option is to steam the rice. Simply add it to a saucepan, along with a splash of water and coconut oil, and use a fork to break up any large clumps. Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the rice is heated.
- Sprinkle some filtered water or chicken/vegetable stock over the meal you are going to reheat. This will not only give it a bit more flavor, but will help prevent drying it out.
- Whether microwaving or using the oven/a saucepan, heat for less time than you normally would.
- When reheating chicken and rice, as they are both very versatile, you can play around with the dish and make it your own! In a saucepan, add some olive oil, onions, original chicken and rice, with some other fresh or frozen veggies you have on hand. This not only spices the dish up, but can help the chicken to feel less ‘reheated.’
At IONutrition, our meals are refrigerated, but never frozen. We use eco-friendly insulated packaging to deliver fresh, ready to eat meals. Our ultra-portable, refrigerated meal management bag keeps meals fresh anywhere right up until the moment you are ready to eat them. Our meals are fresh, and you won’t have to worry about your meal-prepped food being dry due to the manner in which we handle, cook, and packaged our meals.